Friday 17 June 2011

Whale spotting in Hermanus, an experiece that changed my own view on wildlife viewing is all about.

Many years ago while still at school in Durban, I was one of  a group of schoolkids visiting the Whale station and the associated factory. We watched as two Sperm Whales were dragged onto rail cars on route to be cut up and processed. I remember the size of the whale and smell to this day. Many years passed before my next encounter, with these beasts, when my wife and I were on holiday in Cape Town.  We heard about the Whales in Hermanus and given my previous experience I went with the expectation to see Whales, and in particular some Sperm Whales.  My amazement was beyond description when live Whales swam less than 50 meters away from me, I could smell their breath and hear them breathe. I knew then that when you are in the presence of wildlife you are truly blessed.
The whales were Southern Right Whales who moved so slowly and so relaxed in their environment that I was at a loss for words. We spent more than 3 hours just sitting on the rocks observing these gentle Giants interact with one another, a truly special moment in my life.
 It was about four years later that I took a tourist on a boat to spot Whales, because the Whales were further down the Coast.  Wow!  We were visited by two Humpback Whales who came so close that I could see the colour of their eyes, and believe me, when they look at you they look deep into your soul. These two also gave an special farewell to the boat with a breaching display that left all on board soaked to the bone. I did not take my camera with me and today I would have liked more than the memories of that day...  perhaps this is why I always have my trusty camera with me when I go Wildlife/Whale spotting.


No comments:

Post a Comment